Baby and Child First Aid in Glasgow Training Centre
Baby and Child First Aid course
The Baby and Child First Aid course provides training for parents and the extended family and friends who wish to gain some basic first aid training and knowledge of what to do in an emergency. This course can also be used for people working in nurseries and child care groups.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for those who spend time with infants and children where there is a possibility that they may get injured or become unwell suddenly.
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
- identify potential accident spots in the home, nurseries and locations for child care groups
- administer infant and child resuscitation, including recovery position and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- identify breathing disorders, including choking
- identify extremes of temperature, including heat exhaustion and hypothermia
- identify disorders of the brain, including compression, concussion and seizures
- carry out the proper treatment of internal and external bleeding
- identify potential injuries to bones and soft tissue, including fractures, sprains and strains
- identify different types of burns and scalds, including appropriate treatment
- identify potential poisons and routes of entry and provide appropriate treatment
- identify miscellaneous conditions, including meningitis, anaphylaxis and febrile convulsions
How long does the course last?
One day. Candidates are required to complete six contact hours of training and assessment. It is therefore necessary that candidates are able to attend for the whole duration of the course to allow them to be eligible for continuous assessment and certification.
9.00am until 4.45pm
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course. Evidence of underpinning knowledge and practical skills competence will be required for certification.
Successful candidates will receive a St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd ‘Baby and Child First Aid’ certificate, which is valid for three years.
Please consider the following factors when choosing your candidate(s) to attend our Baby and Child First Aid course course:
- reliability, disposition and communication skills
- aptitude and ability to absorb new knowledge and learn new skills
- ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures