What You Need to Know About First Aid Training During the Pandemic
Updated Tuesday 17th November 2020
During these unprecedented times, it might feel like the restrictions to our lives are constantly changing. That’s why we’ve put together this handy FAQ on taking first aid training during the pandemic.
We keep this page updated with any changes, so be sure to check back before heading to your course.
The tier system came into force on November 2nd. Glasgow and Stirling will be in Level 4 from Friday 20th November. Is the course I am booked on still going ahead?
Yes. Our training courses are exempt from the new restrictions and are going ahead as scheduled. For more information on current Covid-19 restrictions, please see the Scottish Government website.
Courses take place in our training centres following strict Covid-19 safety procedures.
Are your training centres open?
Yes, we have been delivering training courses at all of our centres across Scotland since Monday 3rd August 2020.
What car parking facilities are available at your training centres?
- Glasgow: Parking bays available on Milton Street costing £3.50 for three hours. All day parking available at a nearby residential car park for £7 all day with a discount card from our reception.
- Edinburgh – Dock Place: Limited free spaces at Dock Place and unrestricted parking on one side of Commercial Street avoiding bus stops or bus lanes. The Ocean Terminal shopping centre’s car park is a short walk away.
- Edinburgh – Norton Park: Limited free parking spaces at venue.
- Aberdeen: A nearby NCP car park offers all-day parking at a discounted rate (£7) for St Andrew’s First Aid candidates.
- Dundee: Several paying car parks nearby: Overgate Shopping Centre, Bell Street and Grassmarket.
- Glenrothes: Free on-site parking.
- Stirling: Free on-site parking.
- Inverness: Free on-site parking.
Are trainers allowed to come to our premises and deliver training?
Yes. We will ask questions about your premises and amenities, and you must provide us with a copy of your Covid-19 risk assessment. Once you have satisfied the criteria and filled in a booking form, we can deliver any of our courses at your premises.
What are you doing to minimise the risk of COVID-19 cross infection in your training centres?
We have implemented a range of precautions:
- Screening questionnaire on arrival
- Social distancing measures and one-way systems
- Reduced class sizes
- Temperature check of staff and candidates upon morning arrival and after lunch break
- Alcohol-based hand sanitiser located in every training room
- One training manikin provided per candidate. Lungs are replaced after each session
- All training equipment disinfected every day
If necessary, we are happy to provide you with a copy of our completed Covid-19 risk assessment
Can I complete my workplace training online?
No, our first aid courses must be assessed in person. We do not have the option to offer any part of our courses online.
My certification expired during lockdown. Do I hold a valid certification? When do I need to requalify by?
Certificates that expired after 16th March 2020 are now valid until 31st October 2020 or 6 months after the expiry date, whichever is later. The requalification training must now be completed by 31st March 2021.
Do I have to wear a face covering for the whole course?
No, but we ask you to wear one on arrival, whilst moving around the building and when social distancing is not possible.
Do I have to practice rescue breaths?
Yes, but not on a live casualty. Manikins are thoroughly disinfected after each use and the manikin lungs are replaced.
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 4 666 999