Emergency First Aid At Work
Emergency First Aid at Work course
The Emergency First Aid at Work course provides basic training for people who are required to be emergency first aiders within the workplace. The course syllabus is as specified by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and is fully compliant with The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981.
Not sure about the minimum number of staff you need for your building get guidance from our First Aid Calculator.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for those workplaces that fall into a lower risk category (e.g. offices, shops, libraries) and whose needs assessment indicates a requirement for emergency first aid training only.
If your first aid needs assessment shows that you have staff who have underlying medical conditions – including heart problems, diabetes or asthma, etc. – we recommend you consider the ‘First Aid at Work’ course as this covers treatment for a wider variety of health issues.
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
- understand the role of the first aider, including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment
- assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation to an adult, including using an AED
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is choking
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is suffering from shock
- provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
How long does the course last?
1 day. Candidates are required to complete six contact hours of training and assessment. It is therefore necessary that candidates are able to attend for the whole duration of the course to allow them to be eligible for continuous assessment and certification.
9.00am until 4.45pm
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course. Evidence of underpinning knowledge and practical skills competence will be required for certification.
Successful candidates will receive a St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificate, which is valid for three years.
Along with the HSE, St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd strongly recommends that candidates complete an Annual Update course each year during the lifespan of their valid certificate to prevent first aid skills fade.
Please consider the following factors when choosing your candidate(s) to attend our Emergency First Aid at Work course:
- reliability, disposition, and communication skills
- aptitude and ability to absorb new knowledge and learn new skills
- ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- normal duties, which should be such that they may be able to respond immediately and rapidly to an emergency