Annual Update in Edinburgh Training Centre - Dock Place
The course lasts for three hours, and is available to people who currently hold ‘First Aid at Work’ and ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificates.
Areas covered include: CPR, using a defibrillator, bleeding and shock.
The course syllabus follows the suggested format by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) contained within The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981.
Who should attend?
This course is designed to refresh the workplace first aider’s knowledge and skills. It is only available to candidates holding First Aid at Work and Emergency First Aid at Work certificates.
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
- assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation to an adult, including using an AED
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is suffering from shock
What is the course duration?
Three hours, carried out from 09:00 to 12:00 or 13:00 to 16:00. Candidates are required to complete three contact hours of training and assessment. It is therefore necessary that candidates are able to attend for the whole duration of the course to allow them to be eligible for continuous assessment and certification.
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course. Evidence of underpinning knowledge and practical skills competence will be required.
Successful candidates will have their St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd ‘First Aid at Work’ or ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificates updated to show that they have attended the Annual Update course. However, attending this course does not extend the lifespan of the original certificate, neither does it replace the original ‘First Aid at Work’ or ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificate.
Along with the HSE, St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd strongly recommends that candidates complete an Annual Update course each year during the lifespan of their valid certificate to prevent first aid skills fade.
Please consider the following factors when choosing your candidate(s) to attend our Annual Update course:
- reliability, disposition and communication skills
- aptitude and ability to absorb new knowledge and learn new skills
- ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- normal duties, which should be such that they may be able to respond immediately and rapidly to an emergency
Need more information?
Edinburgh Training Centre – Dock Place
12 Dock Place