Trainer Tips: How to treat a nosebleed
Welcome to our new series of Trainer Tips videos!
For the first video in the series, we are looking at how to treat a nosebleed.
Follow these steps to help treat a nosebleed:
- Sit the casualty down
- Tilt their head forward
- Allow blood to drain from the nostrils
- Ask the casualty to breathe through their mouth
- Pinch the soft part of the nose for up to ten minutes
- Advise the casualty not to speak, swallow, cough, spit or sniff
- After ten minutes, release the pressure. If the bleeding has not stopped, reapply the pressure for up to two further periods of 10 minutes.
- If the nosebleed is severe and lasts for over thirty minutes, take the casualty to hospital.