Standard First Aid
Standard First Aid course
The Standard First Aid course is normally delivered over two consecutive weekends; this 24 hour course is for anyone aged 15 years and over provides in-depth training for people who wish to become expert first aiders.
Who should attend?
The Standard First Aid course is for those who wish to gain a comprehensive knowledge and experience of first aid. This certificate is also the minimum requirement for becoming a St Andrew’s First Aid event volunteer.
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
- manage an incident
- state the priorities of first aid; including:
- primary survey
- secondary survey
- recovery position
- perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation including using an AED to an unresponsive:
- deal with disorders of the airway; including:
- fumes and gases
- control bleeding; including internal and external bleeding of the:
- head, including nosebleeds
- varicose vein
- deal effectively with:
- embedded object
- penetrating chest wound
- administer first aid to a casualty with:
- injuries to bones, muscles and joints; including injuries to
- soft tissue; including
- bones; including
- upper arm
- lower arm
- collar bone
- hand and fingers
- flail chest
- soft tissue; including
- chest injuries
- burns and scalds; including cold, radiation, electrical and chemical burns
- eye injuries
- sudden poisoning
- anaphylactic shock
- recognise and provide appropriate first aid treatment to a casualty suffering from:
- sudden cardiac arrest
- heart attack
- recognise and treat a casualty who is suffering from extremes of temperature; including:
- heat exhaustion
- heat stroke
How long does the course last?
4 days, normally delivered over two consecutive weekends. Candidates are required to complete 24 contact hours of training and assessment. It is therefore necessary that candidates are able to attend for the whole duration of the course to allow them to be eligible for continuous assessment and certification.
9.00am until 4.45pm
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course. Evidence of underpinning knowledge and practical skills competence will be recorded in a Student Workbook.
Successful candidates will receive a St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd ‘Standard First Aid’ certificate, which is valid for three years.
Please consider the following factor when choosing your candidate(s) to attend our Standard First Aid course:
- reliability, disposition and communication skills
- aptitude and ability to absorb to knowledge and learn new skills
- ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures