The organisation was formed as St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association by doctors and businessmen in Glasgow who were concerned with the number of people being injured in the rapidly expanding industrial city. Unlike St John Ambulance, founded in the middle ages by the Knights Hospitallers to support the Crusades, St Andrew’s growth mirrored the rise of the labour movement, with many of the first groups of volunteers established in shipyards, mines and on the railways.
1882
By formal agreement with the Order of St John, St Andrew’s discontinued all ambulance work in England and St John Ambulance discontinued all ambulance work in Scotland. Mutual referral and strong cooperation between the two organisations continues to the present day.
1908
The National Health Service was formed and contracted the St. Andrew’s and Red Cross Scottish Ambulance Service to provide the ambulance service for the NHS in Scotland.
1948
The first joint First Aid Manual of St John, St Andrew’s and the British Red Cross was published. This is still the standard text for First Aid in the UK.
1959
The British Red Cross Society withdrew from the ambulance service, which became St. Andrew’s Scottish Ambulance Service and with it the association became the sole contractor for the provision of the ambulance service in Scotland.
1967
Due to the building of the M8 motorway through Glasgow, the association’s headquarters were relocated in Milton Street. Our patron, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, officially opened the building on 26 June.
1970
St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association first aiders were faced with the horror of the Ibrox disaster, in which 66 people were killed.
1971
The National Health Service was re-organised and St. Andrew’s Scottish Ambulance Service was taken over by the Common Services Agency of the National Health Service.
1974
100 years on and the association celebrated with a service in Glasgow Cathedral attended by our patron, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.
1982
The Badgers were launched in Scotland, for 6 to 10 year olds.
1989
The association bought its first defibrillator and the Scottish Ambulance Service ran the first defibrillator course for Corps members in August of that year.
1993
The association is granted its coat of arms.
1996
In 2004 the Corps celebrated its centenary year. In this year the Cadet Corps also celebrated their Golden Jubilee, being established back in 1954.
2004
The association is rebranded as St Andrew’s First Aid to avoid confusion with the Scottish Ambulance Service.
2008
The Privy Council grants a Supplementary Charter, formally updating the organisation’s constitution.
2011
St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Limited is established as a wholly owned social enterprise subsidiary to maximise profits from the sale of workplace first aid training and supplies, which would be used to support the charity’s activities. In 2015, the company receives a Special Commendation at the Lloyds Bank National Business Awards.
2012
Six St Andrew’s First Aid volunteers are first on scene when the driver of a bin lorry loses control in Glasgow, killing six people and injuring 15. They subsequently receive Brave@Heart Awards from the First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon.
2014